Are There Predictors of Early Diagnosis of Endometriosis Based on Clinical Profile? A Retrospective Study

Maryam Al Shukri*, Al Shaima Al Riyami, Wadha Al Ghafri, Vaidyanathan Gowri

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Objectives: Significant delays occur in referring cases for care of endometriosis, despite women suffering for years. This study was conducted to assess whether there is a specific symptom profile characteristic of endometriosis to alert physicians for earlier referrals. Methods: In this retrospective observational cohort study, patient data of the women who attended Sultan Qaboos University Hospital from January 2011 to December 2019 with a diagnosis of endometriosis was collected from the hospital’s electronic data archive and analyzed. Results: Cases of N = 262 endometriosis patients were studied. The diagnosis was surgical in 198 (75.6%) of patients and the remaining 64 (24.4%) were diagnosed by clinical assessment and imaging. The mean age at diagnosis was 30.7±6.8 years (range = 15–51). The presence of ovarian endometrioma on ultrasound served as an alert for earlier referral. The mean age at diagnosis for those who had an endometrioma was 30.3±6.7 years and 32.4±7.1 years for those without an endometrioma without a significant difference. The mean age at diagnosis for those who did not have pain was 31.2 years and those with pain was 30.0 years (p = 0.894; CI:-2.58–2.91). Among the 163 married women in the sample, 88 (54.0%) had primary infertility, and 31 (19.0%) had secondary infertility. There was no significant difference between the groups in the mean age at diagnosis (analysis of variance test; p = 0.056). Over the nine-year period, diagnosis was made at progressively younger ages (p = 0.047). Conclusions: Based on this study, no specific symptom profile appears to predict an early diagnosis of endometriosis. However, over the years the diagnosis of endometriosis is made earlier likely due to increasing awareness of women and their physicians about the disease.

Original languageEnglish
Article numbere458
JournalOman Medical Journal
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - Jan 2023


  • Delayed Diagnosis
  • Endometriosis
  • Infertility, Female
  • Oman
  • Pelvic Pain
  • Quality of Life

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this